Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Potatoe cannon!

Nothing really makes a guy feel more manly than shooting a gun. I count potatoe cannons in this category. Seriously, what isn't great about it. A giant contraption that can lauch a vegetable a couple hundred yards, the proper use of vegetables (just kiding I like vegetables). To make things even better the cannon I shot this weekend was made of metal. For those of you that don't know metal>plastic on the man scale...always!!!

I spent Saturday in Ipswich with one roommate and six ladies. It's always flattering when the odds are that good, but also tells a sad tale for the poor women of Boston. I'll take what I can get, but I can feign a little selectivity out here. Obviously it hasn't done too much for me or I would be co-writing a blog, but I digress.

The whole thing was at a farm. We walked through a corn maze(finishing it way too quickly), jumped on a giant pillow(got some little kids kick off so we could jump), had a hay ride(learned about evil spiders), and shot a potato cannon at various Halloween themed targets. Now I'll get back to the initial potato cannon set up. I have a point with this and an awesome ending story!

Growing up my friends and I built a potato cannon. It was amazing and none of us died. Though it was really close a couple times. Lessons were learned and I think we all learned that stepping in front of a cannon is a bad idea. We also developed phenomenal aim, really it was quite impressive. In hind site I should have been putting this energy into studying for the ACT and what not, but at the time my priorities were what they were.

We all started shooting. It was less than impressive. Wind was blamed a lot. Most women just don't have a lot of experience in the small arms category. That's right I went there! Some people got "close". I went 6th. I missed the first two, but was actually very close. I was getting harassed by a one lass in particular, I find her entertaining, but she won't date red heads(she's also a red head) and my guess is I'd end up getting stabbed, so unless she tries to seduce me, no deal!

After explaining that at Utah State I had to take a course in weaponized vegetables, and that accounted for some of my skill, I lined up my third and final shot. I pressed the button, slowly (you don't want any jerky trigger movement), and watched the potato fly. It brought back a lot of good memories with great friends. I was jerked back to reality when my potato smashed into the plywood witch! Ideally the potato would have gone through the mouth, if that would have happened I would have won a small pumpkin, since I hit the witch I won another shot, or a potato. I decided to keep the potato, as a trophy to my manliness. Poor Tom will have to prove his manliness some other way.

I should end here, but the potato tale continued. I ended up putting the potato in one of the ladies pursues, who I went to Ipswich with. I forgot it and she ended up giving it to me at church today, yep that's right she made me a man again (yep I think I'm pretty funny), but really, don't get the wrong idea, she just gave me my potato back. Naturally I didn't bring anything to store a potato to church(I really should plan ahead), so I did the next best thing. I gave it away. There was some random lady that was walking down the hall with another giant purse, can you guess what I did, there was a little ninja skill involved? Maybe the token of my manliness will make its way back to me, but my guess is that poor lady is just going to be really confused. Life really is about the small things.

4 comments:

denise said...

HAHAHA- I would be that lady and I would wonder for weeks what I had put in the potato bag that should be in my purse.

MSmith said...

You had me grinning :)

denise said...

Go cougs!

Jane said...

Everyone should carry a potato bag to church.
g-jane