Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Funny Stuff!

Dating is funny stuff! Seriously, I'm about done. With the amount of time I've put into dating I would expect a little bit more...success, let's call it. I am your typical "nice guy". Unfortunately, I'm finding the old axiom, nice guys finish last, to be true.

I've noticed a few categories that most people fit into. The first group are the ones that snub you right up front. These are the cold cruel she/he-devils. The attraction you have for them is purely physical, and in reality, it's a good thing these relationships never actually work out. Luckily I haven't had to deal with many of them. When I do, I wish I hadn't. This people will give curt one word answers to any question you ask. These are also the ones that walk on the opposite side of the hall, change class schedules, or get plastic surgery, all to avoid you. How do these people know right of that it isn't going to work out?!

The second group are the ones that: when you leave the country for a couple months, the next thing you know, when you get back, they are "dating" and no longer want to date you. This group can also be enlarged to included those that you date a couple time and then decide they can do better...after 2 dates. I don't even know if I like a pair of shoes after I try them on twice. I think people should get a little bit more wear as well.

The third group are the people that you yourself can't decide to date or not. You see the good in that person but think you can do better. I'm convinced that at some point there is nobody better. The longer I last the more I've convinced that marriage is nothing more than two people settling for the best they can get. Sometimes this works out great. Other times, not so much. A lot of the whole process comes from timing. I, however, have never been very good at timing. I'm the guy that bolted from a front porch.

I guess love exist but sometimes I wonder.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Dude,

Marriage is not about settling for the best you can get. It IS 90% about timing.

Love, your married cousin

Unknown said...

Don't let the money-grubbing she-devils getcha down! Dating is all about prepping you for when you find your perfect angel. If you have sampled a large enough cross section of women and learned some tricks of the trade, you'll know when you meet the one for you and you'll have the know-how to trick her into marrying you (that's what happened to me). Godspeed and keep sampling!
-Dennen

MSmith said...

loved the shoe analogy...and my loafers are oh so comfy, and just get better with the miles we walk together!
love, mom