Sunday, July 6, 2008

Week 1.

My first week was great. We had a lot of orientation. Being a foreigner in another country is an interesting position. Oftentimes Americans tend to see this from only one perspective. It has been interesting to actually be the foreigner. I think you have to be willing to accept more situations when you're abroad.

Driving in Brazil is intense! It's fast and the cars are smaller. However, everyone seems to do just fine. Personally I'd expect a lot more accidents. Being aware is the only thing that prevent this. I'm pretty sure the taxi drivers have it out for foreigners here. I paid R 43 to get to church. One guy just wondered around the block for a while until he felt he'd achieved his maximum rate. I was about to jump out of the taxi, but decided against it.

This upcoming week I should start to figure out exactly what I'll be doing. Using Access is going to be a big part of the job. Teaching the Business English class and how to write and communicate professionally in English is a part of the job. Well, I'll keep you all up to date on the adventures to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figure some of the taxi's sit around waiting for those they know are new to town. It's some kind of initiation to the newbie. I'm glad that you are having a great time.

Aunt Denise

MSmith said...

I am now painting the room you vacated. It is light blue. All of your stuff is now in the ski shed. I am gardening, running, and fixing up each day....love summer. Hilary and Dennen leave Friday for Peru. Rachel went to Logan to register. Dad went to Logan to fix a sprinkler line. The house should close on the 25th. I'm glad that you are having a great time. Do you get any free time to explore?
Love,
Mom