Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Brazil!

(This is a view from where we're staying, the "Manhattan" of Brazil.)

Yep, I made it. I've been here now for 4 days and it has been great. Everyone is really friendly. "Yeah, sure" some might say, "It's just because the people there have to be nice because they're part of the company you're working for." However, I completely disagree. In fact, I went to a cultural training class these past two days and the consensus is that people in Brazil are friendlier than most.

I've had to learn about the kissing, on the cheek, in Brazil. I served my mission to a Latin culture center. I never had to kiss anyone on the cheek and in fact this was prohibited. I'm making up for it now. Other than that I haven't had to adjust too much. I'm also finding it is more important to smile and show your emotions here in Brazil. This is something I'm not particularly use to. However, I think if I can get better at it I'll become a better person for it.

I can truthfully say that Banco Itau is an amazing company. They are concerned about our experience here and see in us a potential asset. The world as a whole is becoming closer and as this happens there will be differences. However, if we can be patient with one another we can all grow. While we appreciate the culture of others and share the good things in our own culture we can all become better for it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you made it safe and sound. I would assume from the experience with Celso and Lillian that the culture was emotionally open. Gald to see that my study with an n=2 has been validated. Keep up with the blog

aunt Denise

MSmith said...

Well, so glad that things are going well. We enjoyed seeing the picture and are glad that you are learning about a new culture. Keep posting and send us your contact information.
Love, Mom

grandma/pa said...

Yeah! you made it. Looks like a great place. The company sounds good. Yes the people of Brazil are friendly. Grandpa says kissing ladies on the cheek is good but watch out for the guys.
grandma/pa

MSmith said...

Sounds like everything is going well for you. Nice picture of the view from your apartment. Do you have your own apartment or do you share an apartment with a roommate? On the flight back from our Florida vacation, I sat next to a gentleman that was a soccer coach in Sao Paulo ( his first name was Celso). We had a good conversation. He said he coached a first league team in Brazil and would be working with Real Salt Lake for 45 days. It really is a small world.

Love Dad

Tyler said...

Yeah, it's great here. We actually are going to be living in a hotel for 6 months. As for kissing guys, luckily that isn't required.