Friday, August 22, 2008

Olympics!

As the greatest sporting event in the world draws to a close I'd like to thank the athletes. They truly are role models to us all. I've been particularly impressed by the synchronized swimmers. These athletes combined the best and most difficult elements of sport. 

For most of us a sporting event is usually going to end up being slightly embarrassing. Very few people are all around gifted athletes. For example, when I play basketball, not very pretty. It appears that in synchronized swimming one of the elements is to intentionally embarrass yourself. I don't know how they score it but I'm sure that must factor in somewhere. After all there was that scandalous Spanish swim squad. Kudos ladies for trying to swim naked. 

In the spirit of the Olympics I'd like to salute these athletes that show us how much better we can be. Perhaps more sports could learn from synchronized swimming. May I also add, go Canada, and extra points for the embarrassment factor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We watched some of the olympics...missed the synchronized swimming. Saw Michael Phelps and the gynmastics. Some of the runners and the sand volley ball. Thought the opening and closing was super.I wonder if here in Utah we get different emphasis.
Grandma Jane