Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Economics in Real Life

What happens when Economics touches our daily lives? It's usually going to be something good or bad. Unfortunately, we can't pick the outcomes. We have to take the good with the bad. In my case I've seen some of this first hand. Especially with today's exchange rate.


There are a couple things that will happen when an exchange rate changes rapidly, like what has happened recently. Primarily, the exporters of Brazil will be happy in the long term, if the rate holds. You'd also expect that more tourist from other countries with higher valued currencies will be visiting Brazil, eventually. However, in my case, it isn't great news. I get paid in Reals. This means, I'm not going to come home with much money. I'm not complaining, because the non-monetary value of this internship has been amazing. I would like to note, however, that I've never really seen anything like this happen before, and it's kind of interesting.

No comments: