Sunday, October 5, 2008

Titles


This has been bugging me for awhile, I can never come up with a good title for my posts. Having an immediate test of ones creativity is unfair, I think. It takes awhile to come up with something good. Sometimes coming up with a title is my biggest deterrent to writing new posts.

Life is good. I've been reflecting on what brought me to where I am today: fate, divine intervention, determination, etc. In all sincerity, I don't know. I'm fairly sure it's a combination of multiple factors.
 
I've never been supper set on one path. I seem to roll with the punches pretty well. I think that as long as your original path is good there is no problem changing direction if a better opportunity is there. Because of this, I think, I'm more prone to get into the type of situation I'm in now.

Yesterday, as I was listening to conference at the chapel, I was amazed, I understand Portuguese. It was a weird experience. If someone would have told me I'd be in Brazil a year ago I'd have thought them a little crazy. I guess that's how life is, you never really know.

I'd also like to discuss some of the things I miss from the good old US of A. These are in no particular order. I miss Wal-Mart/large shopping centers. Shopping here in Brazil is a stressful event, and for a guy that doesn't like shopping anyway, even more so. The isles here are small and so is the selection. Wal-mart is huge and if you can't find what you need there, well, you've got something wrong with you.

I also miss full sized Snickers. The chocolate in Brazil is great but nothing really compares to a snickers. It is, perhaps, one of man's greatest inventions.

I also miss my family. They're great. I miss their support and advice. I miss how my sisters worry that I'm going to keel over from a massive coronary any time they see me eat fast food. I miss playing racquetball with Dennen. I miss hearing about my mom's teaching adventures at BYU. I miss my dad's advice. I miss my grandparents. I miss large family gatherings with uncles, aunts, and cousins. This might sound like homesickness to you, it isn't. It's reality. If you don't miss something, how can you be grateful for it?

Other things I miss are: friends, going to school, riding the bus to campus, paintball, fall, mountains, super fast internet connection, the logan house, living somewhere with more than one room, American money, etc. I'm sure I'll miss a lot of things in Brazil when I leave Brazil as well. I also need to figure out a way to keep improving Portuguese when I get home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how fast you are getting a grip on Portugese (sp?). I have to say that I know how you feel about missing things. I only moved 900 miles from home but I miss laughing with my sister on a regular basis, getting treats from my mom, sage advise from my dad, and all of my nieces and nephews. I miss my family every day. What would I do without email and a cell phone?

Katie said...

I miss you too.

Oh, and I hate writing titles too. I leave them for the very end after I've already written the post. It seems like less pressure that way.

CMRA LILIAN CORNET said...

Hello Tyler,
Welcome to Brazil!
Im a little bit late, but I'm glad your're enjoying this experience.
Of course sometimes is difficult, we miss our family, friends and the way of life we're used to have.
but it's really intersting have the opportunity to know another culture and learn more about other country.
hope you could come to Rio and see how beautiful is the city.If you need any help... I'll be here ok?!
I'll call you to the hotel and so we can talk a little more.

Hope you have good times and make good friends.
Kiss on the cheek,ha,ha,ha...
BraziLILIAN