Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Politics

I kind of wish the United States had a better mix of political parties. I don't consider myself a Republican or a Democrat. I think both sides have positives and negatives. 

I like the Democrat approach to overall social issues and I prefer the stance the Republicans have regarding personal choices. I'm with the Democrats on most of their macro goals; be it international relations, health care, etc. I side with the Republicans on drugs, defense, and religion.

My ideal party doesn't exist. I don't agree with the Republicans all the way and the same goes for the Democrats. I guess I'd be the typical swing voter.

Whatever happens in this election, a change does need to happen, and sorry folks, Obama isn't going to be able to solve them all. Each American needs to do their part. As a whole we need to get ourselves out of debt, build better relations with other countries, figure out the solution to the energy crisis, learn to fight the battles that are necessary, strengthen families, and bring back America's can do spirit.

Getting out of debt is possible, it will just take sometime and self control. 

Building better international relations is possible on a personal level. When we take vacations, leave the US, and everyone should at least try to pick up another language. 

Our energy crisis will be solved not by our government handing us the answer, but by us solving the problem. If each house in the US was solar powered how much better off would we be? 

The wars and conflicts the US ends up being involved in probably aren't going to stop anytime soon. As Americans we need to figure out what's worth it. Also, one thing that bugs me are Republicans that say "I believe in defense, so I'm voting Republican." if you believe in defense go join the Army. 

We need remember that we're only going to be as strong as the foundation we're built on. Each individual is a product of their family. If you don't start there, you'll just be playing catch up when trying to fix problems.

The American spirit of creativity and can-do-it-tivness, in my opinion, isn't dead, but merely sedated. We watch too much TV and entertain our selves with meaningless things. I've heard it said the Religion was once considered the opiate of the masses. I think in our day it's entertainment. Great ideas and innovations don't come from sitting around watching celebrities talk about themselves. People need to start innovating and creating for themselves again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I know what you mean about Republicans saying "I believe in defense, so I'm voting Republican," that drives me crazy!!!!
I agree that the government isn't going to solve our energy crisis, but I don't think the typical American will put solar panels on their roof just because they think it's good for the environment... The government has to give tax cuts/make laws for people to change.

Katie said...

I also think the government could really step up the grants for researching alternative energy solutions in Universities.

Over the last 10 years that has been underfunded and given just a half-hearted effort.

Birrell Family said...

100% agree, very well chosen words. It will be interesting to see how long Obama's honeymoon will last with the press.Take care, Brenda